What exactly is Research School PLUS?
Research School PLUS offers predefined funding lines, especially to RUB’s junior researchers. This means, that you as a doctoral student can benefit from financial support that enables you to be creative in manifold international research activities, such as:
- research stays, including field research and laboratory visits
- inviting guest scientists to RUB
- organizing events at RUB with international visitors
- active conference participations/summer schools/workshops only possible as part of a package application
- ... and much more!
International research activities as a parent? We now offer more flexible solutions!
For more details, please contact Sarah Gemicioglu.
Research School does NOT close its doors in 2017 it is a permanent institution on campus.
The Excellence project Research School PLUS runs until October 2019 but the most important support activities may be continued as parts of our programme.
Which costs does Research School PLUS cover?
No matter which funding opportunity you apply for, Research School PLUS only covers certain kinds of costs. Please check our expenditure guide before calculating your budget.
Here are some examples of costs that are covered by Research School PLUS:
Visa costs, event and conference entry fees
Event organization at RUB
Research School’s Review Process
Ever since its launch, Research School PLUS has inextricably linked all of its funding distribution with actively including its junior researchers in the peer reviewing process. Thus, they not only learn how to write a successful application for funding, but doctoral researchers are also an imminent part of the reviewing community evaluating their peers.
Example PR.INT funding line:
- Ph.D.-students write their application and can receive help from Research School and its workshops.
- 1st review: 2 peers, subject and non-subject specific
- 2nd review: 2 Early Career Researchers (senior Ph.D.-students, postdocs and junior professors)
- final decision: based upon the four reviews, the Executive Board (professors and Ph.D. students) finally decides on the funding
You see, doctoral students are involved in every aspect of the reviewing process and, thus, trained in writing and evaluating applications. This is the reason why it might take up to four months until a final decision is made, but in comparison to external funding lines this is a rather short period and, as we think, worth investing the time.