All enrolled doctoral researchers of Ruhr-Universität Bochum are members of RUB Research School. As a permanent academic institution of all faculties, we actively contribute to the promotion of doctoral researchers from all research areas by offering interdisciplinary workshops on research related competencies and research management skills as well as a broad career preparation program. These offers are complemented by funding opportunities for your international research activities.
Design your personal accompanying skill set reflecting your individual career development! The highly regarded Research School Certificate will make your doctoral activities visible.
Broad Portfolio of Advanced Academic Qualification
In coordination with the existing doctoral programs at our faculties, the established qualification program of RUB Research School supports doctoral researchers in carrying out their research projects. RS imparts relevant cross-disciplinary skills and promotes the development of personal competence:
- Generic Skills Workshops
- Writing and reviewing of scientific proposals at an early stage
- Interdisciplinary events to promote dialogue between disciplinary boundaries
- Science communication for responsible public relations
- "Rules of good scientific practice", Research Data Management, and Open Access
- Target group-specific language courses (Centre for Foreign Language Training).
- Science didactics, e-learning & digitalization of teaching (Centre for Science Didactics)
Dedicated Personal Guidance and Career Preparation
Research School offers dedicated personal guidance when it comes to non-research related advice for doctoral researchers. Moreover, you can take advantage of special career support services from our Career Guidance program, which provides career-relevant knowlegdge, networking, and essential skills for a career in science and business:
- Personal exchange with executives from the business world
- Career preparation workshops
- Individual Support and advice incl. Ombudsperson
- Mentoring programs (offered by the Research Academy Ruhr)
Funding International Research Activities
In order to gain important international research experience already during the doctorate, Research School offers a “Research around the World” program with financial support for international projects and networking. The program has outgoing and incoming funding lines, primarily designed for doctoral researchers, to support their international research activities and networking:
- Funding for research stays, lab visits, field research, conference participation and more!
- Conference organization at RUB
- Bridge funding from doctorate into postdoc phase
- Inviting doctoral researchers to do research at RUB
- Inviting international top-level scientist to boost graduate education on-site
RUB Research School. One of a Kind!
In a unique approach, Research School involves all early career researchers in its review and selection processes, equipping them with special competencies that are becoming increasingly important for both an academic and a career outside university research. Sign up and become a reviewer today!
With RUB Research School, our university has been one of the first institutions in Germany with a central hub to inform, support, and promote young researchers from all career levels with a holistic approach. And the best part: all offers are voluntary and free of charge.